Tuesday 6 March 2012

Ovarian Cancer...

Did that title stop you in your tracks?

Well good!

I don't know if you are aware but March is ovarian cancer month.
A deadly disease that is the fifth most common cancer for women and one that is extremely close to my heart.

No doubt what most people think about when the read this title would be Jade Goody


Who lost her own battle to cervical cancer.

For me I also think closer to home.

I have had cancerous cells burnt away a grand total of 4 times and thankfully they look like they are gone for good now. But I can't tell you how scary it is to be told you have cancerous cells and the impact it has on your whole family.

My mother, as you are aware was also diagnosed last year with ovarian cancer which thankfully was all removed successfully. And I can't praise the doctors and nurses enough for the care they gave her.

The reason I am sharing all this information  with you is to give you the "kick up the butt" so to speak to make sure you go and have your smear.

It doesn't matter if you have been with the same person for years and years the HPV virus, a main cause of cervical cancer, can sit dormant for 20 years!

So please just a few moments of discomfort  and the benefits definitely out way the cons!

X x


9 comments:

  1. Great post! A lot of women put it off for years.

    You are right, a few moments of discomfort is better than worry pushed to the back of your mind for years!

    Gemma x

    ReplyDelete
  2. As part of my job I am forever persuading women to have their smear tests, it saddens me that so many put it off...and as I turn 25 this year, you bet I'll be heeding my own advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your post! I would love for you to check out my post!!

    http://fashionblends.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said! The nurses at my surgery are so funny I'm too busy laughing to notice any discomfort! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS Thanks for getting rid of that word verification, I wondered if you knew it was on there! xxx

      Delete
    2. Your welcome Vix. I had no idea it was on!

      My nurse made me laugh as I had a cold when I went. She told me not to worry as it wasn't that end she was interested in! Lol

      x x

      Delete
  5. my nana died of ovarian cancer :( I've also had the cells burnt away and how awful was that, although my doctor was great i had a student doctor watching which, for someone who has never even had children was just a tad mortifying, but i was brave....my sister has also had the cells burnt away...and they say it isnt herediory...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire. I feel for you as it is not a nice experience I know! Especially having a student with you too. Mind you on one of my sessions the bulb in the machine blew and the consultant said not to worry calling maintenance as he could fit the new one. He didn't seem to think it was problem me being ready with legs strapped a kimbo! Thankfully a thoughtful nurse covered me up to save my blushes....

      X x

      Delete

Please be kind, remember we are all friends here.
I love getting your messages, they brighten up my day and will answer any questions as quickly as I possibly can.

Love and lipstick.
X x